HOW TO GET YOUR CAR READY FOR SMOG CHECK:
1. Have your oil changed
2. Check Fuel filter for "clean-ness"
3. Check Air filter for "clean-ness"
4. Check tire inflation. Inflate to tire pressure listed on tire. Do not under inflate.
TIRE INFLATION IS IMPORTANT TO ALL VEHICLES TESTED ON A DYNAMOMETER.
5. Check "Tune up"
A. Engine missfire
B. Engine surging
C. Engine stumble or dying
D. Black smoke coming from tail pipe
E. White smoke coming from tail pipe
F. Lack of power
G. Any other driving or performance problems
6. Allow the level of the gas tank to go as low as possible. Fill up with Supreme on the morning of the test if possible. (The MTBE in the gasoline gets old rapidly and can cause increased emissions.) Just to be on the safe side, use a Major Brand of gasoline for this tank of gas.
(EXXON, CHEVRON, TEXACO, MOBIL, UNION, etc.)
7. Drive the vehicle for at least fifteen minutes, (on the freeway, if possible). You want to assure the vehicle is properly warmed up when the Smog Check is done.
8. Make an appointment with the Smog Station of your Choice.
9. Ask for a "Pre-Test" to assure your car will pass before you are hooked up the the Bureau of Auto Repair Computer. There will probably be a charge for the "pre-test".
10. When the "pre-test" is finished insist on getting a "VIR" vehicle inspection report. A paper showing all the informtion from the test, including the emission devices and the emissions which were recorded during the "test".
11. If your vehicle failed the pre-test, then you must make a decision to have the car repaired prior to getting an "official" test where the vehicle is connected to the State Computer.
12. Don't let your vehicle become a "GROSS POLLUTER" (new term: High Emitting Vehicle). It can cost you a bundle.
13. If you are not comfortable, get a second opinion. Paying for two
"pre-tests" is a lot cheaper than the cost of being a "gross
PHONE: (562) 602 1018 ATA FAX: (562) 602 2911
Website: http://www.aaata.com --- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Smog Check II update
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP. . .
1. Senator Mountjoy has a Constitutional Amendment in the Legislature requiring all changes in Smog Check be brought back to the Legislature before implementation. This means we will stop further implementation until it is voted on by the people we elected. You can print the petition from this website, or you can call ATA and ask for an original which can be copied for you to get filled out and mailed in to show your support. We need thousands of signatures on this petition to get it passed.
2. You can call your local State Senator, your Local Assembly person, the Governor, your local Mayor, Councilman, & County Supervisor. MAKE YOUR FEELINGS KNOWN TO THESE PEOPLE. . .
3. Talk to your friends, relatives and co-workers. Many people don't know there's a problem until they or their friends lose a car. Stop it before it goes any further.
4. THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR ! ! !
A. Find out what the position of those people running for office is about:
(1) Smog Check II
(3) Preserving your personal and property rights
B. Take an active part in the election. Attend rallies, support those candidates who will protect you.
C. Determine which of the current problems we are facing is most important to you?
(1) Vehicle scrappage for polluition credits (Early Vehicle Retirement)
(2) The high cost of Smog Check
(3) The damage done to vehicles on the dynamometer
(4) The loss of your car to high repair costs
(5) MTBE in the gasoline (that keep s going into the water supply)
(6) Losing our National Parks to the United Nations
(7) A law prohibiting boats, jet skis, and other water craft off of California Lakes.
(8) Then of course we have: