The Urban Wildlife
gee whiz animal
- What bird has been a domesticated friend to man longer than any other?
- What animal has helped save so many people that you might not exist had
one of your ancestors not been saved by one of them?
- What animal is the traditional symbol of love and peace? (Be specific.)
- What animals can routinely find their way home from strange places over
hundreds or even thousands of miles away?
- What winged creature can think abstractly, form concepts, and commit
images to memory many times faster than human beings?
- What birds did Queen Victoria raise and love?
- What animal formed a basis for Charles Darwin’s studies and later became
his loving friends?
- What animals did Picasso love so much he named his daughter after them?
- What animal has Jimmy Smits grown to love, personally, because of the
character he plays in the hit TV show NYPD Blue?
- What kind of dove did Noah release from the ark? (Be specific)
- What bird was used to take aerial photography?
- What animal did Lockheed Aircraft Company use to send messages between
facilities across Los Angeles in order to avoid traffic?
- What bird has no sound for pain – and therefore suffers and dies in
- What animal has been revered for 12,000 years and, only in the last
century, has been severely abused by man?
- What bird brings life to an often otherwise bleak inner-city landscape?
- What non-native bird inhabits areas without displacing native species?
- What animal was used in Desert Storm to send messages that otherwise would
not have gotten through due to intense radio jamming?
- What was a favorite animal of the famous artists Picasso, Monet and Matisse?
- What animals are encouraged to provide a fertilizer of choice for famous
brands of champagne?
- What is the common name for the Rock Dove?
- What word in the dictionary means the same as the word "dove"?
- What bird is falsely accused of spreading many diseases to people?
- What birds feed milk to their babies?
- What birds solved incredibly complex puzzles to become one of the two top
birdbrains of England?
- What bird is commonly sacrificed as nothing more than live targets placed
in the sights at the end of a shotgun?
- What bird adorns foods, beauty products, a famous bank, and credit cards
worldwide? (Be specific)
- What is one member of the dinosaur family who is still alive and well
- Unscramble the following word to find the answer to these questions:
(c) D.L. Roth, 10 March, 1997
for explanations – but don’t cheat!