Gleiwitz and the Start of WW2

By Joaquin Bochaca



Digging for the Truth About the 'Gleiwitz Incident' And Who Started WWII


From the Barnes Review, Sept-Oct 2006, pp 42-45: Series on "Authentic World War II History"

IN THIS ARTICLE FROM the eye-opening book Los Crimenes de los "Buenos" [The Crimes of the "Good Guys," 1982], SENOR JOAQUIN BOCHACA sets the record straight on an incident whose truth, even today and in expert Revisionist circles, is largely unknown. It occurred on the cusp of World War II, on the night of August 31-September 1, 1939. In fact, it was the event the court historians claim really started WWII.


As in the case of the Reichstag fire of 1933, and with equal duplicity, the implacable foreign enemies of Germany accused Hitler of creating what today would be called a "false flag" operation, a "supposedly Polish (but actually German) attack on a German radio station," in this case to start World War II. Hitler "needed an incident," we are taught, and "needed a Polish attack." This would then justify his supposedly long-planned invasion of Poland, which happened on September 1, 1939. Hitler's enemies further imply (by omitting facts that TBR now reveals) that it was an entirely peaceful, good-neighborly Poland that Hitler attacked, an intimidated nation that only had sought British and French aid against a threatening "Nazi juggernaut."

In point of fact, there had indeed been a peaceful and well-run Poland, from 1926-1935, governed by Poland's national independence hero, Marshall Joseph Pilsudski. He had sought excellent relations with Germany, and in 1934 signed a non-aggression pact with the Third Reich. Some have suspected that Pilsudski was actually poisoned in 1935 because of his friendliness toward Germany; he died with suddenness of what was called liver cancer. Pilsudski had chosen peace with Germany after contemplating the implications of the long, defensive Maginot Line into which France was pouring unheard-of billions, and became convinced that France would never actually go on the offensive against Germany; hence Paris's offer of a military guarantee to Poland would prove useless. How right the late Pilsudski was proven to have been in 1939. But in 1939 he was gone and the ultra-nationalists under Gen. Rydz-Smigly were in power, and had convinced themselves that England and France would invade Germany the moment Poland and Germany went to war.

The famous, supposed "Nazi false flag" operation was the August 31-September 1, 1939, attack supposedly by pseudo-Poles who were "really" German commandoes in disguise, on a German radio station near the German border city of Gleiwitz. We are taught that it was Hitler's excuse for going to war, a war in which tens of millions would die. In point of fact, the evidence for the almost universally accepted version of the Gleiwitz radio station attack has always been of the most tenuous kind. It consists of the "confession" in 1945 of a German SS officer, Alfred Naujocks, then in the hands of the Allies. Naujocks was obviously trying to survive at the time, and offering Allied propaganda officials the statement or "confession" they demanded could mean the difference between freedom or long years of prison, torture or perhaps hanging. Adding urgency to Naujock's considerations was the fact that thousands of SS had already been savagely murdered in Allied death camps such as Neuengamme.

As an [sic] historical prelude, on March 31, 1939, England and France gave an unconditional guarantee, a true "blank check," to Poland to defend it militarily and march with it on Germany. It has been called a "blank check" because it put no conditions on Poland; Poland could say or do whatever it wanted to the German Reich or to its own Germanic minority of 1.2 million. Ultra-nationalist hotheads and mobs in Poland now wanted directly to provoke a war wherein the three countries would attack the Reich simultaneously; then Poland, so went the notion, would annex half of Germany.

This would fulfill Marshall Rydz-Smigly's personal dream of trotting on horseback as a conqueror through the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin and watering his steed in Berlin's Spree River. This supposed three-nation attack on Germany would also let Poland fulfill a Pan-Slavist dream of "retaking" German lands that, a thousand years before, had indeed been lightly settled by Slavs. (Berlin, Leipzig, Dresden and other Slavic-named German cities in the east actually were tiny Slavic villages a millennium ago. The Germans actually had been there before the Poles, but had moved south into the collapsing Roman empire 700 years earlier, leaving what is now eastern Germany nearly uninhabited.)

With the new Polish clique seeing war as eminently desirable for the creation of Greater Poland and the historic Slavist chance to reverse 10 centuries of German eastward development, civilian mobs (and loose-cannon factions within the Polish military), urged on by inflammatory press reports, felt free, after the signing of the British-French unconditional guarantee, to harass, boycott, beat, pillage and even massacre ethnically German Polish civilians whom the 1920 Treaty of Versailles had drawn inside Poland's new borders. All these provocations were designed to needle Adolf Hitler into "taking the bait" and starting a war. Hitler did go to war, but not until after five months of official protests, and increasing warnings to Warsaw, during the spring and summer of 1939.


We would like now to refer, even if very summarily, to what would be -- and I employ the conditional tense deliberately -- the first war crime of World War II, chronologically speaking. I am referring to the attack on the radio station at Gleiwitz. Hungarian author Joseph Sueli refers to the episode in the following manner:

(QUOTE)On the night of August 31, I was listening to Radio Gleiwitz, a German radio station just next to the Polish border. Suddenly, a few minutes after midnight, the musical program stopped and excited voices announced, in German, that the city of Gleiwitz had been invaded by irregular Polish troops, who were just then approaching the radio station.

Then suddenly there was silence. I kept the radio on and at two o'clock in the morning [now the first of September] Radio Gleiwitz began broadcasting in Polish. Radio Cologne [from the other end of Germany] announced that German troops were now rousting out the invaders of Gleiwitz.

At six in the morning the German troops invaded Poland. Some days after the war began I read a tiny paragraph in the English press, according to which the Germans asserted, among other things, that the Poles had, in fact, begun the war, invading Gleiwitz in the wee hours of the morning of September 1.(UNQUOTE)

Here is a summary of the version of the incident put out by author H.S. Hegner:

(QUOTE)Heinrich Mueller, a high functionary in the Gestapo, had been tasked (by someone, perhaps Hitler) with concocting an official motive for Germany's declaring war on Poland. A hundred prisoners from German concentration camps were taken to the city of Oppeln, next to the Polish frontier. These men were put into German SS uniforms and posted near the frontier. There they were surprise-attacked by German soldiers dressed in turn in Polish uniforms, who pounced on the poor prisoners -- the faux SS -- and murdered them. That was part one.

Once this was done, the Germans in their Polish uniforms next headed toward the Polish frontier and, in passing, occupied and burned their own German customs post in Hohenlinde. Next, an alleged agent of the Gestapo named Naujocks, in command of German soldiers disguised as members of a Polish patriotic paramilitary organization -- a detail that Hegner omits to mention -- attacked the German radio station in Gleiwitz.

In the Gleiwitz operation there was only one fatality, which Mueller conveniently took care of. It was of a prisoner wearing a Polish military uniform, who had been rendered unconscious by an injection and was afterwards executed in the course of the action.(UNQUOTE)

Now let's see what the Germans had to say about it:

(QUOTE)August 31. 4. Communication from the chief of police in Gleiwitz. The Gleiwitz radio station was assaulted by irregular Polish troops who, for a moment, succeeded in occupying the station. The irregulars were chased out by the German Frontier Police. During their defense [of the station] one Polish irregular was mortally wounded.

5. Communication from a representative of the town of Troppau: In the night of August 31/September 1, the customs house of Hohenlinde was attacked by Polish irregulars who succeeded in occupying it; but thanks to a counterattack by the auxiliary troops (Waffen-SS), the irregulars were routed (UNQUOTE)

If we compare Hegner's text with the official German text we will see that that whole convoluted action makes no sense. It was not witnessed by anyone -- that is, anyone neutral -- and there were no photographs taken by German propaganda of the SS men in their purported disguise as Polish "irregulars" -- not a well pulled-off false flag. We must assume that no such photographs exist.

On the other hand, in the official German document there are mentioned fully 44 acts of Polish aggression over the six days and nights before the German invasion (about 4 a.m. on September 1). In this text it is clearly stated that the attackers did not wear Polish uniforms, but that they were irregular troops, based in Hohenlinde and in Gleiwitz. And finally, according to the German documents detailing Polish prewar attacks, the post of Hohenlinde was not burned, but merely occupied.

If we compare the two texts -- that of Hegner and the official German report -- we will see that:

1) If the Germans had disguised prisoners in SS uniforms and afterwards killed them, to show outraged Germans that their boys had been done in, there can be no reasonable doubt that it would have been with the goal of making the event known, whether by photographs or by written documents. Neither of the two incidents listed in the German version quoted above, Hohenlinde or Gleiwitz, nor the other 42 incidents between August 25 and September 1 contained in the Germans' Weissbuch [White Book], mentioned that even a single German in the SS had been killed.

2) The official German sources mention the irregular nature of the attacking troops, and so define the single Polish fatality mentioned in both their account and Hegner's. It is simple logic that if this report had been "cooked up" by members of the Gestapo -- as Hegner claims -- it too would have been with the intention of making it public. In fact, the only writer affiliated with the Allies who has tried to sell this bizarre story of prisoners disguised as Germans and Germans disguised as Poles is Hegner, who may have his own agenda. There exists no official version with respect to this subject -- not in the French Yellow Book about the war nor in Churchill's Memoirs.

The only versions we are served up today are the gospel of the aforementioned Hegner and three or four additional authors who cite Hegner as their source.

The clearest explanation is this: irregular Polish troops -- probably not under the command of the regular Polish army -- made an incursion into German territory. This constituted the first two war crimes of World War II, both by "the Allies," because it is a war crime to ever use irregular, non-uniformed troops -- this invites attacks on any suspicious civilians [See page 51 of this issue for the inevitable consequences of such actions. -- Ed.] -- and another to attack a country when a declared state of war does not exist.

In this whole confused affair only one thing emerges with clarity: that in the hours preceding the outbreak of hostilities there were numerous altercations between Polish irregulars and regular or auxiliary Germans (SS Field Gendarmes, customs police etc) and that these altercations all took place on the soil of Germany.

We must not forget one continuing discrepancy as to time. The Hungarian writer Sueli reported hearing, at 12 midnight, Gleiwitz station saying it was under attack; at two in the morning he says he heard Radio Gleiwitz broadcast in Polish; a little later he heard another station, Radio Cologne, announce that the attack was being repelled.

However, the official German communique gives 9 p.m. (on August 31) as the hour of the attack, while Hegner affirms that it was at 8 p.m. Why does the German communique not describe the attack as being in the early morning hours of September 1, as does Suelis's account? We are inclined to suppose that, when on the eve of a war 44 separate belligerent actions are recorded along a frontier as long as the German/Polish border of 1939, one of them could have been omitted, especially if there had been more than one attack in roughly the same place.

We have wished to call particular attention to these events in Gleiwitz/Hohenlinde because there has been an effort, at the expense of real history, to incorporate Hegner's yarn, later repeated by other authors who cited him, into the official history by the well-known publicity tactic of systematic repetition. Eventually such a myth then becomes "a well-known fact."

JOAQUIN BOCHACA, ESQ. is undoubtedly the premier Revisionist author in the Spanish language world, which features Revisionist writers virtually unknown to English-speakers (although not to Europeans). Bochaca, an attorney with a uniquely hard-hitting, clear, and masculine prose, is also a literary theorist and translator of Ezra Pound from the English and Hermann Hesse from the German. He also speaks and translates French, but above all else, this Barcelona resident is a lover of Catalan and of his native Catalonia.

(sidebar) Alfred Naujocks -
Was He the Man Who Started WWII?

BORN IN 1911, SS-STURMBANNFUEHRER ALFRED HELMUT NAUJOCKS (pictured) was, according to court historians, ultimately responsible for World War II in Europe. According to the establishment version of history, on August 31, 1939, Naujocks and his men, disguised as Poles, allegedly led a "false flag" attack on the German-language Gleiwitz (Gli-wice) radio station (shown left) in Poland, which led to bogus reports of Poles overrunning the station as part of a concentrated series of 21 faked anti-German attacks on the German-Polish border.

In order to make the attack scene convincing, the Germans allegedly brought in Franciszek Honiok, a German known for sympathizing with the Poles, who had been arrested the previous day by the Gestapo. According to the establishment story, Honiok was dressed to look like a Polish insurgent; then killed by lethal injection, his body was given gunshot wounds and left at the scene so he looked as though he had been killed while attacking the station. His corpse was presented as proof of the attack to the police and press.

At the same time as the Gleiwitz attack, we are supposed to believe there were other incidents orchestrated by Germany along the Polish-German border, such as house torching in the Polish Corridor. The entire project, dubbed Operation Himmler and comprising 21 incidents in all, supposedly was intended to give the appearance of Polish aggression against Germany.

In November of 1944, Naujocks deserted and turned himself over to U.S. forces -- who placed him in detention as a possible war criminal.

In his affidavit presented at the Nuremberg Trials, Naujocks declared the attack against the Gleiwitz Radio Tower was under orders from Heydrich and Heinrich Mueller, chief of the Gestapo. After the war he worked as a businessman in Hamburg, where he tried to get rich by peddling his story to the media as "the man who started the war." In fact, his story was phony.


Freedom isn't free! To insure the continuation of this website and the survival of its creator in these financially-troubled times, please send donations directly to the Birdman at
PO Box 66683, St Pete Beach FL 33736-6683

"The smallest good deed is worth the grandest intention."

Please contribute today - buy our books - and spread the word to all your friends!
Remember: Your donation = our survival!

* * * Back to the Home Page of John "Birdman" Bryant, the World's Most Controversial Author * * *